Automation Machine Builders are often specialised in a market with systems in food and beverage, oil & gas and pharmaceuticals being good distinct examples of end-user applications. However, a commonality across many automation machine builders is the need to gain remote access to such systems to help with technical support and to fulfill maintenance contracts. Robustel’s cellular routers are used globally for such tasks, allowing access to devices such as embedded PCs, PLCs (Programmable Logic Controllers), PID Controllers and SCADA systems. “RobustVPN” is an innovative remote access technology that allows Machine Builders to access remote equipment over a 3G or 4G connection, using any SIM card, anywhere in the world. The power of this automation machine builder solution is two-fold. Not only is remote access for the machine builder easy to achieve (no need to source specialist fixed IP SIM cards) but also allows a very clear demarcation between who is responsible for signing and maintaining SIM card contracts and subsequent exposure to data over-usage bills. RobustVPN allows end customers to use their preferred SIM provider in each region whilst still giving Machine Builders cost-effective and secure remote access whenever it is required. RobustVPN works on any of Robustel’s 3G and 4G routers and integrates seamlessly into RCMS – Robustel’s full router management system.
What are the benefits of partnering with Robustel to deploy Automation Machine Builder Solutions?
Robustel Benefits at a glance
- Expertise – Robustel R3000 routers already deployed in many tens of thousands of industrial automation / Machine Builder applications globally.
- Interface Support - Ethernet/RS232/485/CAN interfaces provide compatibility with a wide range of native fieldbus protocols as well as SCADA head-ends.
- Packet Sniffer – Robustel’s built-in packet sniffer can be very useful for reverse engineering legacy ASCII protocols. Easily viewed in Wireshark.
- Native VPN Protocols – Robustel’s devices have native applications to control a wide variety of VPN protocols to help secure data transmissions across the public internet - IPSEC, OpenVPN (TAP and TUN), L2TP and more…
- Global Certifications - Global certifications for Robustel 3G/4G routers in North America, Europe, Asia-Pac and more - please enquire for full details.
- Industrial Strength at a consumer price – Every one of Robustel’s routers are designed with endurance and a long deployment length in mind. Our expertise and smart manufacturing solution mean we can produce industrial grade routing equipment at a much lower cost solution than many competing "industrial routers".
Create your own application using RobustOS
All Robustel routers run the Linux-based, “RobustOS” operating system.
Because Robustel write the router Operating System in-house, Robustel’s levels of tech support and software customisation far exceed the typical capabilities available in the market.
This means that users in the Machine Builder market can develop a dedicated application for Robustel’s routers to customise the product’s behaviour to exactly meet the project’s demands.
An example of such an application would be to locally poll a Modbus device from a 4G router and only send an alert across the cellular connection if a trigger condition is met, for example, an oil quality sensor shows that the oil in a system must be changed. Alerts can be sent in a variety of forms including SMS and email.
Cloud Device Management and VPN Access through RCMS
Robustel Cloud Manager Service (RCMS) is Robustel’s custom IoT software platform and eco-system. Connecting your Robustel device to RCMS opens up a world of applications to make managing devices, connectivity and provisioning simple.
Use the Robustlink Device Manager App inside RCMS to instantly access your connected devices from anywhere. Allowing you remotely configure, update apps & firmware, debug error logs and view data usage at any time.
Use the RobustVPN App inside RCMS to create allocate one or many of your deployed devices to a VPN group which can they be accessed through the RVPN desktop application to access your deployed devices without the security risk of a public IP address or the need for private Static IP allocation from your carrier.