When people think of automation, their thoughts often go to robotics – and for good reason. From factory floors to precision agriculture, robots are being deployed in drones to decrease manual labour and the need for human intervention, while simultaneously increasing a company’s output and efficiency.
Robots and robotic automation is being used to work alongside human workers to boost productivity. In some cases, they are even used to replace humans in repetitive jobs, freeing them up for other tasks that robots can’t complete. As technology continues to evolve, businesses are looking for new and safer ways to provide their services. Different types of robot solutions are already in use across industries, such as hotels, large campuses and in urban areas. Ranging from cleaning to routine deliveries, an autonomous robot is a highly in-demand resource for companies.
The use of autonomous robots now
While a pizza-delivery robot may seem far off, during the COVID-19 pandemic, businesses were forced to leverage creative solutions to keep their business running, and began to leverage IoT robot solutions. Autonomous delivery robots are electric-powered vehicles that can deliver items or a package to customers without the need for a delivery person. This can include services such as:
- Food delivery – think pizza or even your favourite Uber Eats.
- Prescription from chemists
- Package and mail delivery
- Grocery delivery
- Snacks and beverage delivery during events.
How do autonomous robots work?
The same way that robots are being deployed for factory automation, autonomous robotics are being used to replace human delivery drivers.
A human worker can load a package at a business, before the autonomous delivery robot is configured to navigate a delivery path. The person who ordered the delivery can often track the autonomous device and open the locked cargo bay through an app on their smartphone. While these delivery robots are generally limited by a set distance, they offer an end-to-end service without the need for a delivery driver.
Using a range of technologies like IoT, cameras and sensors, they can assist with several key capabilities including:
- Detecting objects
- Avoiding collisions
- Planning and mapping efficient paths
- Analysing road conditions
The uses of robots can range from sterilising surfaces to routine deliveries. Becoming more important during the pandemic, robot IoT solutions were vital for the transportation of essentials like food, medications and mail.
Advantages of autonomous robots
Not only do autonomous robots provide a safe and effective form of delivery, they also have a wide range of advantages, including:
- Equipment reliability and longevity: by connecting automated robots, Robustel enables a new level of insight into fleet management to maximise the operational efficiency of unoccupied vehicle capacity and reduce labour maintenance costs. When a problem arises or supplies become depleted, the device can send an alert.
- Reduction in human intervention: through the use of the preventative maintenance strategies and alerts mentioned above, human intervention can be reduced. Instead, remote control can be employed for certain tasks.
- Minimise downtime: IoT technology enables IT departments to know where their robot is in real-time. The downtime of the autonomous robots can be reduced by real-time monitoring and preventive maintenance from the remote server.
Reduced liability: all movement of autonomous mobile robots is predictable by a management server, which prevents product, facility and equipment damage.
Connect your autonomous device with Robustel
Robustel is here to help you find a solution for your business needs. Leverage our cellular routers to provide remote device monitoring in real-time. By always staying connected, you will be able to provide reliable service to your customers.
All Robustel routers run on the RobustOS operating system. Customise a solution to suit your device, or opt for an ‘out-of-the box’ solution that is easy for you to set up. Get connected with Robustel and ensure your business evolves with changing trends. Speak to one of our experts about how we can get you connected today. Contact us.