In a global effort to reduce emissions and create lasting and sustainable energy usage, there has been a dramatic shift towards renewable energy resources. Solar technology, wind and hydropower systems are all at the forefront of the switch to cleaner energy.
As demand grows, renewable energy systems are under pressure to maintain a balance between supply and demand. As with many industries, the deployment of IoT renewable energy solutions is helping energy providers meet the needs of consumers, while also meeting environmental obligations.
Robustel 3G and 4G cellular router solutions are deployed across three key renewable energy sectors and offer the perfect solution for your connection needs.
Solar energy is considered to be one of the fastest-growing sources of renewable electricity. IoT in solar energy is helping resolve challenges as the energy industry expands to offer smart solar solutions that benefit consumers.
- Reliable and secure. Cellular connectivity is reliable and offers optimal uptime and coverage for wireless connections.
- Energy forecasting. Operators can use the collected data to evaluate consumption trends. By looking at specific times or weather conditions, they can establish usage patterns and inform supply demands before they become an issue.
- Remain connected. Data is pooled into a central server to better inform operating decisions and processes.
- Better metering abilities. With IoT-enabled equipment, you can measure exactly how much energy each panel is generating.
In smaller systems, a connected IoT solar panel can be used to offer quick and easy remote access to technicians. Using a serial or Ethernet connection, a solar inverter (a crucial part of a solar panel system) can be connected to a Robustel 4G and 3G cellular router.
Wind energy systems
Wind farms consist of a series of connected machines that can operate independently.
As wind energy systems play an integral role in renewable energy source infrastructure globally, IoT enabled technology can help both onshore and offshore wind turbines operate with greater efficiency.
- Monitor and regulate. Data can be collected from operations onshore and offshore to better inform processes.
- Reduce cost. Collected data can also be used to detect and diagnose faults before they cause more damage.
- Efficient maintenance strategies. Cellular connections can be used to reduce the number of inspections, as operators are able to analyse the performance of turbines in real time – no matter their location.
This is possible using an industrial router from Robustel to directly connect to the control panel. You can also use an Industrial Ethernet LAN to indirectly connect to multiple turbines.
Other uses for IoT in energy sites
IoT sustainable energy solutions can also be deployed outside of solar and wind, including sites such as:
- Biomass energy system
- Wave or ocean energy
- Tidal pools
- Hydroelectric power plant
Any significant renewable energy site needs a communication link. A Robustel router creates a secure and reliable communication link between equipment and a control server. Our industrial routers are a cost-efficient way to connect your equipment and can act as either a primary or backup mode of operation.
IoT energy solutions
Robustel’s in-house team writes the router operating system, which means we can develop a dedicated application, customising the product to suit your project's demands. Our routers are ideal for installation in the harsh environments where many sustainable energy sources are located.
As well as a personalised solution, the Robustel Cloud Manager Service (RCMS) enables instant access to your connected device from anywhere. Without needing to visit on site, you can configure, update and view data usage from a central location.
Speak to one of our team members about how we can help with your renewable energy solutions today.
What is renewable energy?
Renewable energy is from a naturally replenishing source – like the wind or sun. While they may be flow-limited, renewable resources are practically inexhaustible.
What is solar energy?
Solar energy is any energy generated by the sun. Light is often collected through technology, like solar PV cells or solar panels, before it’s turned into usable electricity.
How do wind turbines work?
Wind turbines use wind to make electricity. A wind turbine has propellor-like blades that are pushed around a rotor by the wind. That rotor spins a generator which creates electricity.